Skip to main content

Immunization Information

USD #385

Department of Health Services





Kansas statute KAR72-5211:  All Kansas school children are required by law to have a complete immunization series. Any student enrolling in any school in the district shall provide the building principal or health room with proof of immunization of certain diseases or furnish documents to satisfy statutory requirements. Booster shots required by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Environment are also required. The immunization record must be signed by a physician, his/her designee, or a health department designee, and can be transcribed by the school nurse. The Kansas Statutes Related to School Immunizations, the most current Kansas Certificate of Immunizations Form (KCI- which will provide information on all required and recommended immunizations including changes in these requirements) and the KCI-Form B (Medical Exemption Form) are all available via the Kansas Department of Health and Environment at Section E of this Immunization Manual deals with all school requirement information and is where to find the above segments. Required immunizations for school entry can be found on the reverse side of the KCI (Kansas Certificate of Immunization) form. In addition, letters to inform parents of students affected by requirement changes for the following school year will be mailed out on or before May 15 (see below). Parents will then have the summer months to take actions needed to meet these requirements before the start of school in August.

On or before May 15 for the beginning of the following school year, school boards or their designees shall provide information on immunization applicable to school age children to parents and guardians of all known pupils who are enrolled or who will be enrolling in the school of the provisions of the law and of any policy regarding its implementation. The information on immunizations shall include:

  1. A list of sources for additional information; and
  2. Related standards issued by the national centers for disease control and prevention.

Kansas statue: KAR 28-1-6 The superintendent or designee may exclude students who fail to provide documentation as required by law from school until statutory requirements are satisfied. Notice of exclusion shall be given to the parents/guardians as prescribed by law. Students who are not immunized against a particular disease(s) may be excluded from school during any outbreak. Each building principal shall forward evidence of compliance with the immunization law to other schools or school district, when required, by such schools or the student’s parents/guardians. Required immunizations for school entry can be found on the reverse side of the KCI (Kansas Certificate of Immunization) form, which may be used. When immunizations are offered at school, parents may delegate in writing, their authority to consent to such immunizations. If the parent is not reasonably available, and the authority to consent has not been denied as provided in law, individuals other than the parent may consent to the immunizations only as provided for in current law. Immunizations are available through the Butler County Health Department at a reduced fee, for those who quality.*

If your child should be exempt from immunizations, you must provide either an annual written statement signed by a licensed physician stating the physical condition of the child to be such that the tests or inoculations would seriously endanger the life or health of the child, or a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or inoculations. Both the affidavits and the KCI’s can be obtained from your physician, the health department, or are available through the school nurse’s office.

If you are transferring from another school, please have the previous school forward immunization records.




Points to remember:

  1. If you are unsure if your student has the correct vaccinations please check your records against the back of a current KCI.
  2. All forms are available at the following website:
  3. Information on Exemption Procedure is written on the KCI.
  4. School Nurses may transcribe only records SIGNED by a physician or their licensed representative.
  5. KCI’s are revised yearly so please check the date of the KCI to make sure you are getting the most current information on needed immunizations.
  6. Please ask your provider for a signed immunization received notice for your health room when your child receives any booster shot.