Skip to main content

License Information for Substitute Teachers

There are two types of substitute teaching licenses issued by the Kansas Department of Education (KSDE):

  1. Standard Substitute License
    • To apply for a standard substitute license you must hold a degree and completed a teacher prepraration program.  
    • Standard substitute licensees may remain in the same assignment (same teacher, same class, no breaks) for up to 90 days.
    • To renew a standard substitute license, you will need to complete 50 professional development points awarded by a local Kansas Professional Development Council.
  2. Emergency Substitute License
    • ‚ÄčTo apply for an emergency substitute license, you must have completed at least 60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
    • Emergency substitute licensees who have a four-year degree are limited to 30 days in the same assignment; emergency substitute licensees without a four-year degree are limited to 15 days in the same assignment.
    • Emergency substitute licensees without a four-year degree cannot teach for more than 60 days in a semester.

Any person submitting any of the following will ALSO be required to submit AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION, a complete set of fingerprints and the required fee:

  • An application for the first Kansas certificate or license;
  • An application for renewal of an expired Kansas certificate or license; or
  • NEW An application for renewal of a valid Kansas certificate or license, if the person has never submitted fingerprints as part of any previous application for a Kansas certificate or license.

To view and complete the application for a Standard Substitute License, click HERE.

To review requirements and to access form applications for your initial Emergency Substitute License, click HERE.

To renew your Emergency Substitute License, click HERE.  

For more information on the licensing process and a list of KSDE Licensure Consultants, visit