- What is CareDox?
- CareDox is a comprehensive digital health platform for K-12 schools. We help school nurses deliver care, keep students safe and connect with parents. By increasing efficiency in school health offices, students can return to the classroom as quickly as possible and maximize their learning time.
- How does CareDox affect me?
- As an official partner with USD 385 - Andover Public Schools, CareDox takes the registration forms that we use and digitizes them so you can fill them out online. You will not be asked to provide any information that we have not asked for before. CareDox also connects parents to school nurses so you know what’s happening with your student’s health at school. This helps parents in multiple ways:
- Skip filling out each form every year. Once information is on CareDox, you simply update the parts that change from year-to-year.
- Receive instant notifications from the school nurse so you know what happens with your student’s health at school, when it happens.
- Securely share your student’s health information with schools, sports teams, camps and daycare programs - and add or remove access to these records anytime.
- Access your family’s health information online from anywhere, anytime.
- How can I expect to receive communication from my school nurse & CareDox?
- Much of CareDox communication comes via email. If you have an emergency or need to speak directly with the school nurse, feel free to call.
- Who has access to this information?
- CareDox is a digital version of the school’s previous health information system. Access to various pieces of information will be restricted to the same people who previously had access. School nurses and health clerks have access to all health information on file, while administrators, are granted information based on what they need to know as determined by your school district.
- Is my student’s information housed out-of-state, or in New York?
- CareDox is based in New York, but NO student data is stored there.
- Is CareDox HIPPA-compliant?
- Yes. The CareDox system is both HIPAA and FERPA compliant. You can read the full details of our their policies online. At a glance, HIPAA rules give individuals the rights to access their health information, make sure that it is correct, and know who else has seen it. FERPA grants parents the right to access their student’s educational records (including all information on CareDox), to request amendments to the records, and to have some controls relative to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the educational records.
- Does CareDox share health record data?
- No. Andover Public Schools AND CareDox never share identifiable information about any districts, schools, nurses, faculty, students, parents or administrators on the CareDox platform without their explicit permission. CareDox may use HIPAA-compliant, aggregate trend data for pediatric health outcomes. A sample statistic that might shared would be “17 percent of students aged 12-18 in Colorado are immunized against meningococcal meningitis.” Such data is not re-identifiable and cannot be “matchbacked.” CareDox adheres to the strictest HIPAA and FERPA compliance rules.
- Is CareDox mandatory?
- Using CareDox is "mandatory" in the sense that K-12 schools require parents to fill out health forms before their students can attend classes. You can opt-out, but it would make your enrollment process more difficult, time-consuming paperwork would need to be completed and would also create problems for the school, making it more difficult for school nurses to do their job. Nurses would struggle to find your information for state-mandated reports and have a harder time providing care in case of a medical emergency if your contact info is lost, or if allergy information is lost.
- Why do you need my student’s pediatrician information?
- Having primary provider information on file helps nurses continue the care that a doctor recommends, and gives them access to the correct expert on your student’s particular health needs. This coordination allows students to stay healthy and get better faster.
- Is student digital information safe?
- The mission of CareDox is to provide safe, secure and life-saving health technology to public schools across the country. By replacing traditional paper records with encrypted, cloud-hosted technology their platform helps prevent the theft, misuse and loss of records. Digital health information is accessible to just those granted with specific permission. Each record access is tracked and logged in real time. Parents are notified immediately of changes, medication refill needs and incidents of their students visiting the nurse. In the event of a fire, flood or other disaster, school health records are securely stored online and protected from damage. Digital health technology from CareDox helps your school keep student health information safe and private.
- How do I update contact info that is Read Only?
- CareDox automatically retrieves all contact and address information from PowerSchool. Please make changes in PowerSchool or contact your school to make edits. Once this is complete, PowerSchool will sync with CareDox over a 24-hour period and update your student’s information.
- How do I upload documents?
- To upload documents, try one of the following:
- 1: Scan the document to your computer and upload the PDF file in the appropriate section. OR
- 2: Take a picture(s) of the document with your mobile device and upload the photos in the appropriate section by logging into CareDox with your mobile device.
- After I submit, what happens?
- After submission, your form will be reviewed by your student’s school nurse. The school nurse will approve or reject your submission. If additional documentation is needed, you will be contacted.
- I have filled out every part of the form, but it isn’t showing as 100% complete. What should I do?
- Please go through every section of the form and click the “Save & Next” button. If applicable, make sure that all required documents have been uploaded.
- I just moved to this place and don’t have any physician/hospital/emergency contacts for my student. What should I do?
- Please type N/A into these fields and immediately contact your school’s office notifying them that you do not have this information. Once you are able to provide it, please edit the enrollment form.
If you have not found an answer to your question, please contact:
Kellie Bamford, District Lead Nurse
USD 385 - Andover Public Schools